BDF asbl : The Belgian Disability Forum (BDF) gathers 17 Belgian organisations representative of persons with disabilities. BDF represents the interests of various disability groups at the european and supranational level
- Goals : The Belgian Disability Forum (BDF) aims at promoting, within the European institutions, the following rights of persons with disabilities:
Members : The Belgian Disability Forum (BDF) is a non-profit organisation (NPO) whose 18 members are organisations representative of persons with disabilities.
- Becoming a member
Important issues : The Belgian Disability Forum (BDF) is dealing with numerous files. In 2016, BDF General Assembly decided to give priority to the following topics: Human rights of persons with disabilities, Equal opportunities, Belgian presidency of the European Union, European mobility card
UNCRPD : On December 13, 2006, the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN) adopted the text of the
Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
- UNCRPD : Text : The text of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) consists of 50 articles. They are as follows:
Belgium & UNCRPD : Early in 2003, one of the BDF's first "Belgian" battles consisted in raising the spirit of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) among players such as the BDF member organisations and the National High Council for Persons with Disabilities (NHCPD). It is certainly due to the influence of the entire "sector" that Belgium was present at the UN Headquarters in New York, on March 30, 2007, to affix its official signature to the text of the Convention.
- Report on UNCRPD : Belgium submitted this first report to the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in July 2011 (art.32).
- Alternative report BDF : On February 20th 2014, the Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) published and sent its alternative report to the Committee of Experts of the UN Convention on the rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)...
Europe & UNCRPD : On 2007/07/30, the European Community signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). This was the first time that the European Community signs a United Nations Convention
SDGs : The Sustainable Development Goals are a set of 17 goals defined and adopted by the Member States of the United Nations Organization (UNO) in September 2015. From 2016 to 2030, 193 States will have to develop action plans in order to set up a sustainable development at world level. The global aim is indeed to promote prosperity while protecting the planet. The Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) is closely monitoring this process.
- SDGs : the Text : More than a mere text, the Sustainable Development Goals are a set of 17 goals that Belgium has committed itself to meeting :
- Report on the SDGs : The monitoring process of the implementation of the sustainable development goals by the States is a voluntary one. The States are the ones that decide to submit a voluntary report to the Assembly of States.
UPR : The Universal Periodic Review (UPR) has been set up by UN General Assembly Resolution 60/251. This resolution adopted on 15 March 2006 has resulted in the creation of the Human Rights Council.
- UPR : the text : Strictly speaking, the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) is not a text, but a process which involves reports by the Member State, alternative reports by the civil society and recommendations by the Human Rights Committee.
- UPR report : In July 2015, the BDF initiated and coordinated an alternative report to the attention of the UN experts, in collaboration with the various advisory councils.
- ICESCR : the text
- ICESCR report : The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) provides with an international monitoring system. The Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) plays an active role in this system which could improve the living conditions of the disabled people.
- CEDAW: the text
- CEDAW Reports : The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women provides for an international monitoring system. The Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) plays an active role in this system which can lead to an improvement of the living conditions of disabled women and young girls.
- Recommendation UN
- CAT : the text
- CAT report : The Convention Against Torture provides for an international monitoring system. The Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) plays an active role in this system which could improve the living and treatment conditions of the disabled people in their relationship with justice in its different aspects.
- UNCRPD : On December 13, 2006, the General Assembly of the United Nations (UN) adopted the text of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD)
Equal opportunities : In 2006 the European Disability Forum (EDF) celebrated its tenth anniversary. On this occasion, it launched a petition which collected 1 300 000 signatures ! This petition requested that the UE enact a legislation that prohibits any form of discrimination of persons with disabilities and that guarantee the full integration of more than 50 million citizens with disabilities into the European society.
- 03/12: Day of Pwd : The Belgian Disability Forum (BDF) wants all the leaders of the EU disability movement to know and use the 03/12 button
- Mobility : The freedom of movement for people is a founding principle of European construction.
- Human rights
Partners : Networking is an inescapable reality for the Belgian Disability Forum (BDF). Over time, a web is woven, partnerships are increasing and cooperation intensifies. Informal contacts become structural. In this section, BDF presents its most important partners
- Europe : EDF (FEPH) : EDF marks its 20-year anniversary!
Representative bodies : Federal Belgium has created a federal State, three Regions and three Communities. At each of these levels exists or could exist a representative body of people with disabilities:
- NHCPD : National High Council for Persons with Disabilities
- CCBFPH : Conseil Consultatif Bruxelloise Francophone de l'aide aux personnes et de la santé - Section personne handicapée
- CCSAP : Conseil consultatif de la Santé et de l'Aide aux personnes (CCSAP) – Advisory council on health and assistance to persons
- CWPH : Commission Wallonne des Personnes Handicapées - Walloon Commission for Persons with Disabilities
Getting to know the EU : The Belgian Disability Forum asbl (BDF) was created by Belgian organisations representative of persons with disabilities in order to monitor the developments of the European policies. This section gives you an overview of the European institutions, their functioning and the scope of their regulatory texts.
- EU Commission : The European Commission is the driving force of the European institutional system : it ensures that the European Treaties are respected, it proposes and implements measures to further deepen the community policies.