ICESCR : the text
The Covenant includes 5 parts and 31 articles in total, which relate, among others, to the following rights: the right of peoples to self-determination, an equal right of men and women to the enjoyment of all economic, social and cultural rights set forth in the Covenant, the right to work, the right to the enjoyment of just and favourable conditions of work, the right to join a trade union, the right to strike, the right to social security, ...
The rights protected by the Covenant :
- Art. 1 : right of peoples to self-determination
- Art. 3 : equal right of men and women to the enjoyment of all economic, social and cultural rights set forth in the Covenant
- Art. 6 : right to work, to technical and vocational guidance and to training, etc.
- Art. 7 : right to the enjoyment of just and favourable conditions of work
- Art. 8 : freedom of association, right to join a trade union and right to strike
- Art. 9 : right to social security
- Art. 11.1 : right of everyone to an adequate standard of living for himself and his family, including adequate food, clothing and housing
- Art. 11.2 : right to be free from hunger and right to food security
- Art. 12 : right to the enjoyment of the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health, health security and universal sickness cover
- Art. 13 : right to education, including the progressive introduction of free secondary and higher education
- Art. 14 : full implementation of free primary education for all
- Art. 15 : cultural rights